Saturday, May 13, 2006

My "Purrfectly" Black Cat is Having Kittens!


Yes, it'’s official! I took Mojo to the Vet yesterday, and she said Mojo is pregnant!

For those of you who have not been following this blog, I'’ll briefly tell you how this happened:

Mojo was a stray black cat who crossed our paths in from of our house one night shortly after we moved in here. When my husband went back out to retrieve some more groceries from the truck, she jumped out from the bushes and playfully attacked his legs, and ran back into the bushes. Shortly afterwards she started meowing outside, and with some coaxing, she came in, and we fed her, and of course she'’s been here ever since.

We, at first let her out everyday so she could go home, if she had one, until a male cat started hanging around, and my husband noticed one day he had her down by the neck.

From then on we kept her in for her safety. We were sure by then she didn'’t belong to anyone, as she spent so much time here, even when given the opportunity to go home, plus she didn'’t have a collar.
I was afraid she might be pregnant, as right before we started keeping her in, she was gone longer than usual, and was acting strangly when she came in. Sticking her butt up in the air, and rolling around on the ground.

That was about a month ago, and now my fears have been confirmed.

I don'’t really want kittens, (do I?), but I certainly can'’t bring myself to have them aborted, either. So we are having kittens. Afterwards, we will get Mojo spayed.

Let me say here, that I do believe in spaying and neutering, (well, unless you are a breeder), and if I had went out and bought a cat, (which was the farthest thing from my mind), I would have had her or him spayed or neutered.

I remember when I was a little girl, I had a cat that had kittens, but that was so long ago, and all that I can remember is she had them in a strange place, (maybe the closet), and then I remember her hiding them in the closed up hide a way bed under the cushions. It was so cute seeing all these little kitten faces popping out when we took the cushions off, looking for them. That cat had her kittens on Mother'’s Day!

Since, it'’s been years since I'’ve been around kittens, and birthing, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.

Should I help Mojo clean them up when they are born. Any ideas on how to help care for them?

I bought Mojo a comfortable throw that can be washed. The picture posted here, is her on it. She just loves it, as it is fluffy like poodle hair on one side while the other side is satin. As soon as I brought it home, she jumped on it , started purring and digging her claws into it! I think she really digs it!

Don'’t tell my husband, but I am beginning to look forward to having these kittens, and I think he may be too, as he picked up a new cat toy today while we were shopping, as he remarked that we are going to need a lot more toys now that kittens are coming!

I would love to hear any stories of your experiences with kittens, and advice is always welcomed!