Monday, April 17, 2006

Purrfectly Black Cat


This Blog was created to share my love of black cats with others, and to provide links to black cat info and products relating to them.
As a child I loved cats and had many, but never got lucky enough to have a "purrfectly" black one!
As I grew older I begun to consider myself a "Dog Person", as I also had many of them, too. Although I still love dogs, a young stray black cat has recently captured my heart and home!
Here's how it happened:
We had just moved into a small house on a hill, and one evening as we returned from shopping and were preparing to unload the truck a small black cat came dashing from across the street, and ran to our steps up to the front door. I remarked to my husband that a black cat just crossed our paths! As we started up the pathway, the black cat dashed in front of us up to the top and hid in the bushes. After bringing in our groceries, my husband went back out to get the remaining bags, and when he came in with them he told me that the black cat had jumped out of the bushes at him, and playfully attacked his legs! I, of course, thought that was funny, and asked where it went, and he said it went back into the bushes.
After a while we heard meowing outside, and with some coaxing, she came in. The cat looked so little, I thought I better feed her. That was about a month ago, and she's been here ever since. I've asked around and she doesn't seem to belong to anyone, and a neighbor said she's seen her hanging around before I moved in. She had no collar.
In the beginning I would let her out everyday, so she could go back home, if she had one, and to go to the bathroom, as I didn't want a kitty litter box in the house. She is so good, and has never messed inside the house.
Then another cat started hanging around, and mewing outside when she was inside. Hum, I'm guessing he's a male! Anyways, twice I heard cat fighting while she was out, and my husband saw the other cat get her down by the throat!
Then she started acting real weird. She was rolling on the ground, or laying down and sticking her butt up in the air. Gee, I guess maybe she might be in heat!
For the past week and a half, I've broken down and bought a kitty litter box, and am keeping her inside. She did really great taking to the kitty litter box, and broke it in as soon as we set it up! We first got her some kitty litter with crystals, and then a cheaper brand, and she kind of stuck her nose up at the cheap brand. Hum, do you think she really cares?
I guess it's time to make an appointment with the Vet. I don't even know if she's had any shots. She might even be pregnant already. Do I want kittens? Do I want to get her fixed? I'm not sure.
I would love to hear from any cat lovers who have gotten their cats fixed, and how that went, or had kittens, or even if anyone has any advice about cat litter, or anything else.
As I was typing this she threw up a fur ball. I've never seen a cat do that before. Should I be concerned. Is there something I can do to prevent this in the future?
Thanks for listening to my rambling ons. I would love to hear from you.